In our Montessori preschool program, NFA implements the American Montessori approach with a three-year curriculum in a multi-age setting. Here the teacher facilitates learning by following the natural development of the child. Our three Montessori preschool classrooms serve three, four, and five-year-old students.
Our preschoolers enjoy:
- working in the Montessori prepared environment
- areas for practical life, sensorial, language, math, religion, and culture (art, music, geography, history, and science)
- individual lessons with their teacher as needed for their progress
- mentoring each other, “giving lessons”
Montessori materials are arranged in a logical order that moves from the simple to the complex and from the concrete to the abstract. Our three and four-year- olds’ sessions are five half-days per week while our five-year-olds, called Lunchbunchers, have a full day program.
Optional Afternoon Session
Students who are 3 and 4 years old and enrolled in NFA’s five morning per week Montessori or Pre-primary programs, have the option of extending their day until 3:00 pm.
The Afternoon Session program:
- draws from the strengths of our two early childhood educational programs, Montessori and Pre-primary.
- includes a personalized approach to themed learning, independent and group work, outdoor play, science, art, and imaginary play and activities.
Located in the White House and Stone House on the Norwood campus, the Afternoon Session allows families to choose 2, 3, or 5 afternoons per week. The Afternoon Session operates every day that school is in session, beginning with the first full day of school, except when there is a noon dismissal.